Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

VUILLARD



The very moment the temperature outdoors exceeded 40F degrees, I sprang to throw on a colorful frock and ditch my woolly coat. According to Punxsutawney Phil, winter is indeed coming to a close, and I couldn't be more excited to begin working a few spring pieces into my wardrobe.



I spotted this vintage dress a while back and though its proportions originally resembled that of a colorful tent, I thought the painterly print was worth the time spent reworking it. The brushlike florals of the dress called to mind the work of Jean-Édouard Vuillard (1868-1940).



Vuillard, a French painter, is most well-known for his dramatic interior scenes, attributed to the fact that he lived with his mother until he was 60, and became quite well-acquainted with the domestic "women's life".


Vuillard was associated with the Nabi group, a school of painters who espoused Gauguin's aesthetic, and were inspired by Japanese prints and Art Nouveau.


The name Nabi comes from the Hebrew word for prophet, and Les Nabis were considered to be the forefront of avant-garde art during their early period. Other Nabis included Pierre Bonnard, Paul Sérusier, and Maurice Denis, who all developed very distinct styles.


During Vuillard's later career, he created beautiful "apartment frescoes" on the inside of homes and other venues, including Théâtre des Champs-Elysées.




Vuillard's work is valued today for its masterful use of color and light, which I attempted to reflect in my interpretation of his paintings.



In many of his works, Vuillard uses bold dark spaces against high values to create space and dimension. To reflect this, I paired the bright floral dress with dark tights and shoes.


I'm wearing a reworked vintage dress, African and vintage bangles, Marc handbag, vintage frames, and BCBG suede and elastic booties.


[Vuillard images from elle-belle10.livejournal.com, abcgallery.com, nolostwitches.blogspot.com, magicart.wordpress.com, and nickhaus.com, respectively.]

48 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous interpretation. Whatever you did to alter that dress is pure magic. And I love how you paired it with the striped bangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing, what a fabulous dress!

    www.indcfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! You look mighty impressionistic in this getup. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bloody love those colours!
    i'm also looking forward to this spring, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is so pretty, and bold against the black tights. I love the artwork as well. Your blog has a really cool, and unique perspective on dressing, and art.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress! Here's to an early spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog rocks, my dear. I love how you pair the clothes and art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Item 1) That dress is perfection.
    Item 2) And with the tights? Even better.
    Item 3) Have I mentioned that I think your blog is genius?
    Item 4) I'm giving away a custom watercolor portrait on my blog, and I think you need to enter, because, holy cow, how meta would that be?

    Art within art within art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another amazing post of you darling!
    Love your dress and your hair is truly gorgeous!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work, Ariel. Love the dress the glasses the shoes the blue purse you and the light. Wonderful range of colors in the Vuillard paintings, great choices. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Georgerous!!! I love your dress!!!

    Great outfit!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ariel, I love your energy and colour and the way you look at outfits as a piece of artwork - it's very inspiring! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, this is a beautifully colorful ensemble! The way you're able to pull off such vibrant, bold colors never ceases to amaze me! Love it!

    xxAnisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I read that Mr. Groundhog didn't see his shadow today too and I cannot wait for winter to be over! I love all of the bright colors in your outfit! :)

    star-crossed smile

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ariel I am in LOVE with your vintage dress. All those colors! Gah!! Looks sooooo good on you!!

    xo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the outfit!! And those paintings are gorgeous!!
    (and yayy for your Bunny Valentine!!...haha...that was a lame play on words, but whatever :) )
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are very few people who can pull that dress off i'm sure and you are definitely one of them. I also enjoy your making references of what you are wearing to artwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful dress!! <3

    xox Courtney Michele
    http://rarereveuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey you added a poll at the end. That is cool. such a cool dress. The floral pattern against the snowy background is a great contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe my eyes such a gorgeous dress!
    Never heard of Paul Sérusier and Maurice Denis and will have to check them out. However, Bonnard is one of my favorites and I was fortunate to see his works in NY several (about 7-9?) years ago.
    Thanks for your sweet comment.
    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  21. you look wonderful with all these colors , and what a legs you have!!!
    love your shoes x
    www.thefashionmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. TAJ MAHAL POEM OF LOVE...TO FANNY, COUNTESS OF BRUGES...let the splendor of the diamond, pearl and ruby vanish like the magic shimmer of the rainbow.

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's such an amazing dress! I'm really impressed that you can find pieces that translate the paintings and artists you described! That takes a lot of talent! xxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  24. That vintage dress is amazing, I also love that brightly colored bag you have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like how you interpret art through your clothes, it is very original perspective, BTW that dress IS fab.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful dress! I adore the striped bangle you've paired with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all the Art stories you have behind every gorgeous outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Vintage tent, my ass. It looks hot! You balanced out any "tenting" by pairing it with tights and hot as Hell shoes. So it's all good. You look great. <3

    http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. me encanta el vestido, un color precioso y como siempre las pinturas impresionantes

    besos

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow you look amazing- love your dress and yes the colours blend together so well just like the art you posted

    thanks for your comment hun have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. you look stunning!! that dress is amazing!!

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just discovered your blog! And I am so glad I did! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Brilliant dress! I love the splotches of black in it...makes the colors pop even more! The color of that handbag is fab too. Now if only NY weather would get above 40! The snow can melt and I can trade my uggs and rubbers in for heels!

    www.plentyforpennies.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. This dress was definitely worth the reworking!!! You did an amazing job on it! I love the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Adoring the bright, colorful, printed dress! You look fantastic! I don't know much about art but I love the way you are inspired by different artists and try to recreate their aesthetic in your own way of dressing.

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  36. vuillard is the choice. same goes for the glasses-they give you the female clark kent look and the poses i like very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. omg i would kill for that dress! LOVE this post! xoxo, laura

    ReplyDelete
  38. RELIC! I think I have a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The first painting is by Bonnard. (signed lower left in brownish paint on white background). The painting with the yellow background also looks like a Bonnard (no signature) Vuillard has signed the other paintings.

    ReplyDelete