Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

SUNDAY AFTERNOON



I've always admired the society of leisure that is portrayed in French painting from the turn of the century. An afternoon at the shore, luncheon on the grass--I'm of the opinion that our society does not place nearly enough importance on the necessity of down time.



One of my favorite paintings that reminds me of the importance of repose is A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.



This painting is the masterpiece of French Post-Impressionist Georges-Pierre Seurat (1859-1891).



Seurat was one of the first proponents of Neo-Impressionism, and pioneered the use of Pointillism, along with Paul Signac.



Pointillism is the use of a mass of small dots of various colors that combine to form a visual depiction of another color.



When viewed from far away, Pointillist paintings appear to have bold shapes of color, but upon closer inspection, these are made up of hundreds of smaller dots. Pointillism leaves the work of color mixing to the eye of the beholder.



I was inspired by Seurat's palette for my own leisurely afternoon on the bay, and combined the striking contrast of orange and periwinkle with a dotted scarf as a reference to Pointillism. Of course, the parasol is a nod to the women of leisure in the painting.



I'm wearing a vintage silk scarf, my mother's vintage brooch, Madewell tee, H&M pants, Cynthia Rowley x Roxy kaleidoscope wedges, and an Indian parasol bought in San Francisco.


[Seurat images from westcler.org, flickr.com, and farm4.static.flickr.com, respectively.]


5 comments:

  1. My programmer is trying tto convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's
    tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a number of
    websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform.
    I ave heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a waay I cann transfer all my wordpress
    content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!


    Stop byy my blog post - buy shock reviews

    ReplyDelete