Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

JON PESTONI


DSC_0019

I was recently contacted by the new ready-to-wear and customized clothing site eShakti, asking if I'd like to choose a piece to review here.  Upon perusing their collections, I came across this skirt that reminded me of some recent work I'd encountered by contemporary painter Jon Pestoni.

DSC_0025

  I thought the pattern and movement of the silk skirt really captured the feel of the large-scale paintings, which feature bold contrast as well as nuanced tone, and layers of color.


Though the paintings seem to be somewhat abrasive at first encounter, the longer you spend before them, the more you are able to appreciate about the process and individual layers of paint, reminiscent of mid-century Abstract Expressionism

Jon Pestoni at Lisa Cooley

The skirt itself embodies many of the aspects of Pestoni's work within a wearable garment.
The layers of color in the paintings (similar to the silk of the skirt) are nearly vibrational in their intensity.



Pestoni lives and works in Los Angeles and is represented by Lisa Cooley Fine Art in New York.


With the eShakti skirt, I'm also wearing a F21 tee, vintage necklace, gifted bracelets, H&M shoes, and a Rebecca Minkoff bag.


DSC_0033

 With a selection of beautiful dresses and separates, eShakti allows you to customize each garment with your specific measurements and a range of elements that you can specify.  For example, I had this gorgeous skirt made to measure, including the length I wanted and my exact waist measurement.

DSC_0034

The result fits like a glove, and I received it within a surprisingly short length of time.  I was pleasantly surprised with the quality (it is 100% silk and fully lined), and am looking forward to placing another order with the site.

DSC_0026
[Pestoni images from contemporaryartdaily.com.]

3 comments: