Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

GEORGIA O'KEEFFE


When I came across this dress, the layered, petal-like hem and rosy hue called to mind the flower paintings of Georgia O'Keeffe.


O'Keeffe (1887-1986) is widely regarded as one of the most important American artists of the 20th century, notable not only for her paintings of stark landscapes and larger-than-life blooms, but also as a woman who rose to renown in a male-dominated field.


Throughout her life, she lived and worked all over the country, depicting her natural surroundings from Illinois to New York, South Carolina, Virginia, Hawaii, Texas, and, finally, New Mexico.


Married to famed photographer and gallerist Alfred Stieglitz, O'Keeffe was also closely associated with other American modernists such as Charles Demuth, Arthur Dove, and Marsden Hartley.  See my Dove post here and Hartley post here.



O'Keeffe's most well-known works are her close-up views of nature, such as the flower paintings depicted here.



There have been many varied readings of O'Keeffe's flower paintings, particularly related to the feminist art movement of the 1970s, and the flowers' innate sensuality.  O'Keeffe maintained that her work simply existed to confront the viewer with the enchantment of nature.


"I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty." --Georgia O'Keeffe


I'm wearing a dress courtesy of sway chic, necklace from H&M, and Boutique 9 shoes.
Photos by @kay_elle_pea on the High Line.


8 comments:

  1. Hallo Lady.
    I don`t speak good English.I am interesting of you.Ì`´I am also a painter of Acryl and oil.
    I hope,of a answer from you.
    Best greatings,
    Herman from Austria in Europa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email is :herman@aon.at

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am genuinely delighted to read this weblog posts which carries tons of valuable information,
    thanks for providing these kinds of data.

    Here is my page ... countertop microwave reviews

    ReplyDelete