Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

THE EVENT OF A THREAD


I first wrote about an Ann Hamilton installation, Indigo Blue, over two years ago (see my 2010 post here).  When I heard about her installation, The Event of a Thread, currently on view at the Park Avenue Armory, I knew it would be a must-see.


Consisting of wooden swings attached to a network of pulleys which manipulate a massive sheet of fabric in the middle of the room, the visual did not disappoint.  When participants swing, the pulleys move the textile, creating an exhilarating rippling effect (seen in my video, above).



The Event of  Thread emphasizes "individual encounters" and "congregational gatherings" focusing on the individual viewer/participant and the group.  The installation also incorporates readings and sound, for the ultimate multi-sensory experience.

The installation is only on view through January 6, so I highly recommend that you check it out this weekend if you are in the NYC area.
[Top photo by Chelsea Temkin; video and lower photo by me.]

5 comments: