Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

INSPIRATION: Steven Vasquez Lopez.




If you know me, then you know of my obsession with Staedtler Triplus Fineliners--the perfect marker/pen hybrids that come in a rainbow of colors in an award-winning easel case.  When I came across these mind-blowing works on paper by San Francisco-based Steven Vasquez Lopez, I assumed they were created with thread.  Wrong!  These works are ink on paper, using the dear-to-my-heart Fineliners!  How beautiful are these drawings, and how miraculously does the artist capture the warp and weft of fabric?
Images from cover-magazine.com, design-milk.com, and cescontemporary.com.

17 comments:

  1. I love these, especially how the deviant lines equal flaws, which is kind of a flip of Hundertwasser's comment, "Beware of the straight line and of the drunk line, but above all of the straight line. The straight line leads humanity to perdition." I also really like how they read as landscapes with topographical features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great quote in relation to these works! Of course, I was reading them as woven fabric, but I like your insight about topography/landscape. The graphic quality also lends itself to technology, I think. With the "deviant" lines, as you called them, they could possibly be read as a statement on the fragility of our technology-based culture. I love that these can be read in so many different ways.

      Delete
  2. threaded her way to the bottom of the kate spade outlet switchbacks and plunged back through the ArkansasRiver, fighting to keep from being swept downstream in the waist-deep water. It was 2:31 Kate Spade Handbags p.m.

    ReplyDelete