Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

MAYA HAYUK: Bowery Mural










I first came across Maya Hayuk's work through a Google search for "neon art" about 5 years ago.  I was immediately transfixed by the in-your-face colors and exuberant designs, and have grown to love and appreciate her work even more as I've watched her murals pop up here and there all over the globe.  I was overjoyed when I read that she would be taking over The Bowery Mural this spring and set to work on a new piece of wearable art inspired by Hayuk's wall.

Hayuk's work catches your eye first with a bold, bright statement and then draws you in when you notice the handwork and symmetry of the piece.  Having traveled extensively, Hayuk has a wealth of visual experiences from which to draw, and her work is described as being related to "views of outer space, traditional Ukrainian crafts, airbrushed manicures, and mandalas."  Each piece solves a different problem, and Hayuk describes her process as being dictated by the site and the materials more than anything.


When I start a wall, I look at everything around it first. What else is visible in the space and what are the different vantage point like? How does the light change? How high up can I get and where will my painting end? In other words, how can I make the piece part of the wall rather than something stuck on the wall.

My goal in making this dress was to become a piece of the wall myself.  It was a work in progress until I discovered via the artist's Facebook page that the wall was scheduled to be whitewashed later that afternoon.  With the paint still wet and dripping down my legs, I hopped on the train with a supportive friend and rushed into the city to snap some photos. Luckily, we made it just in time before the mural was covered for good.  Viva Maya!


Dress: DIY by me
Necklace: kayellepea
Shoes: United Nude
Sunglasses: Ray-Ban

Photos by Hannah Kauffman, below process photo by me.

6 comments:

  1. Awww...so cute!!! Love the mix of colors. This is a very pretty mural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best blogs that is very useful for keeping me share the ideas
    of the future as well this is really what I was looking for, and I am
    very happy to come here. Thank you very much
    earn to die play
    earn to die
    earn to die 3
    Hi! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the
    earn to die 4
    courage to go ahead and give youu a shout out from
    earn to die 6
    Austin Texas! Just wanted to tell
    earn to die 5

    ReplyDelete