Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

ROBERT OTTO EPSTEIN











I met Robert Otto Epstein a few years ago, while he was working on his 8Bitterized paintings and drawings.  I was intrigued by the (as I thought) obvious connection to technology and of course the vibrant color palette, and I got to know him through a few conversations about his work and visits to group shows.  Most recently, I was struck by his portraits at VOLTA in NYC.  When I saw that his work would be included in a two-artist show at Hionas Gallery in Chinatown, I decided to reach out to him about a collaboration.

In chatting about his work, I found out that it references much more than technology.  In his words, "When I was first painting, I randomly came across a knitting pattern magazine on eBay.  So I started out painting sweaters, cardigans, jackets, and skirts.  Over time, I noticed that the knitting instructions take on a grid format.  Each square and each symbol represented a different color and that's how I got into the abstract form of painting and drawing." Basically, Robert was Artfully Awear all along!

When asked about his newest series of portraits, three of which are included in the Hionas Gallery show, he said he started out searching the internet for high-resolution images, and eventually landed on celebrities as subject matter, after exploring gallerists and athletes.  The painting that I chose as inspiration for my jacket is based on a portrait of Olivia Munn.  We both had a laugh when I told him how difficult it was to capture the expression in his painting - and he reminded me that each portrait naturally contains a likeness to its artist, so of course mine would have appeared different than his.

Instinctively, I asked him what's next, and he said he's very interested in pursuing wall-sized paintings.  It took many hours for me to hand-paint the skirt and jacket inspired by his work, so I immediately understood how intensive the process would be to paint a grid on a surface the size of a wall!   He also joked that perhaps a fashion line should be in the works.  I'd wear it!

Robert's work is on view at Hionas Gallery until May 26th.

Photos by Kathy Paciello.

13 comments:

  1. You are a marvel. You always do such amazing and impeccable work. Brava!
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice blog and informative. I have searched many sites but was not able to get information same as your site. I really like the ideas and very intersting to read so much and Please Update and i would love to read more from your site
    Thanks

    ENG Vs BAN Telecast 1st Match CT 2017
    ICC Champions Trophy 2017 Live Score @ Cricbuzz.com, ESPNCricinfo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I hope that more and more Blogger will use this feature in the future, because it just makes the internet better I think!
    How to Check RRB Trivandrum NTPC Result 2017
    RRB Siliguri Official Website

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something the information that we should consider, thanks for the article were very helpful and add my insights to be developed, please permit gan die trail in post agan something that reminds me of this article and never visit it and make it easier if I go back to monitor postings agan latest ,
    obat kuat
    obat kuat pria
    alat bantu sex
    healthy greetings always make agan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you could get the xnspy login just by registering on the official site

    ReplyDelete