Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

LEAF CREEPER



I am convinced that autumn is the time of year when it's easiest to be aware of the artistry around me. The saturated color of the landscape make the outdoors like an ever-changing Expressionist painting.


Emil Nolde's depictions of the northern German landscape are some of my favorite autumn paintings. Nolde was a member of die Brücke, an early 20th-century group of German artists who championed bold, expressionist landscapes and public scenes.



Nolde's work combines Impressionist brushstrokes with Expressionist color.



His contemporaries espoused the "tempestuous colours" of his work, but the texture of his paintings are just as emotive. Below is a detail from White Trees.



I was impressed by the same colors and texture in the surrounding landscape during my visit to Pennsylvania earlier this week.


This coat nearly camouflaged me into the background. My mother found it at Anthropologie four years ago, and we shared more than a few laughs over the fact that it was named the "Leaf Creeper Coat". I definitely felt like a leaf creeper while taking these photos!



I'm wearing an Odille coat from Anthropologie, H&M tights, UO scarf, and Gil Torres ruched leather booties.


[Nolde images from neu.jgs-kassel.de, palad1n.com, and 0.tqn.com, respectively.]

10 comments:

  1. I agree! It looks like a painting! I adore your red tights! So beautiful in the sunshine! xoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pictures and colours!!

    Ps:i invite you to participate on my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love falls pretty colors and the colors in your outfit are so gorgeous!!! I really love the hot pink tights they pull it all together and add a pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE those tights and the photos are seriously gorgeous!

    stayfabulous,
    zarna
    www.zarnasrunway.com

    ReplyDelete