Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

CULTURAL COLLAGE



In fashion, as in art, one of the biggest challenges is for an outfit to be greater than the sum of its parts. In this sense, I look to some of my favorite collage works for inspiration.


Heralded as the most important American collagist, Romare Bearden produced an incredible array of multi-element works dealing with the subject of African American culture during the civil rights movement.


As a former social worker, musician, journalist, and scientist, Bearden's artwork combines a multitude of different elements to produce a social commentary.


A great number of his collage works focus on the daily rituals of African American life in the South.


I love the disparate elements he incorporates into the works--from newspaper and magazine clippings to watercolor, fabric, and construction paper, they all combine to form a multifaceted depiction of civil rights-era African American culture.


This outfit, like Bearden's collage, is somewhat of a mishmash of different elements that I hope work together to create something interesting.


I combined the bold, bright colors of Bearden's collage with a watercolor-print scarf and a few printed elements to represent the various layers of his collages.


I'm wearing a vintage Yves Saint Laurent blazer, J. Crew sweater, thrifted scarf, vintage leather skirt, Betsey Johnson tights, and Divided shoes.


[Bearden images from negroartist.com, businessweek.com, artregister.com, and negroartist.com, respectively.]

30 comments:

  1. RELIC!!!
    This is soooo not you! LOL I was always trying to put you in short skirts! hahaha FINALLY you are taking my advice and showing off your amazing legs!

    I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS COLOR COMBO...and that scarf...has my name written all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loving this outfit! So glad we are following each other! Can't wait to see your outfit posts! Inspires me to push the bar!!

    www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shoes are killer!! I love all the color and the tights.

    www.indcfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes this outfit does work :) it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your scarf!
    Come and visit my blog!

    KISS

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most perfect clothing collage ever!!! I'm so inspired to wear my camel blazer, and be out of the box. Because when ever I contemplate wearing it in a conventional manner I cringe. btw your shoes are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the bold scarf. beautiful collages.
    <3mode.
    http://modestylist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a whole lot of amazing clash of colors going on in your outfit!! They all work together perfectly. My favorite is the scarf and the shoes! I've just become awared that your blog title is very fitting and clever for your outfits! xoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! So inspirational, love the scarf!
    I'd love it if you'd check out my blog!
    http://haveyoueverfalleninlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your heels!
    thanks for passing by and leaving your sweet comment! remember it means a lot for me, so i hope you will stay in touch with my blog :)

    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have an awesome blog here - love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!! xoxooxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look gorgeous! Great pics and post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your scarf and shoes, you mix patterns so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is very bold, but you somehow nailed it !

    http://burbailey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. the combination is well-made, I always appreciate the colours.
    especially when it's the right time and place.

    ReplyDelete