Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

HAPPY WARHOLIDAYS



Every year since I was little, I've looked forward to picking out my Christmas dress and this year was no exception. When I initially found this dress at Goodwill, I didn't buy it. After a change of heart, I went back a few days later and discovered that it was 50% off. It was a Christmas miracle, and I couldn't be happier with this Mrs. Claus-esque satin party dress.


Since my dress is decidedly retro, I wanted to share these Christmas illustrations by Andy Warhol from the 1950s and '60s.



Before he became an art world superstar, Warhol was an illustrator, and created greeting cards and displays for department stores.

I love the simplicity of these drawings, especially in light of how his artistic oeuvre eventually centered on mass production, and images like Campbell's soup cans and Brillo pads.


My favorite is the red ankle boot filled with holly.
I paired the dress with toile tights reminiscent of Warhol's ink drawings. I'm wearing a thrifted vintage satin dress, Look from London tights, Jill Stuart shoes, and my Grandmother's strand of pearls.


Thanks to Whitney Marie for the lovely photos (and the Starbucks gift card).



I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Warholidays!

[Warhol images from thetablet.co.uk, art.com, flickr.com, and 1.bp.blogspot.com, respectively.]

23 comments:

  1. Great dress! And yes, it is a miracle that it was 50% off when you went back for it...a total sign!! I'm loving the Nikon D3100 and glad I went with it. Thanks for the tidbit about Warhol...didn't know that about his preframe days. Hope you had an amazing day!!

    www.plentyforpennies.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great dress!
    http://haveyoueverfalleninlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What!!! That dress is awesome!!! love the shoes too!

    Ill be following you now, hope you do the same for my blog : )
    www.baublessandbangles.blogspot.com

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your comment. i hope you had a great xmas :)

    F. (opinionslave.blogspot.com) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you, as well, Mrs. Claus!!! <3 You look stunning.
    xoxo.

    http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greaat outfit.
    I love your style it's not so boring it's so much fun :)
    Great blog by the way :)
    www.dianas-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red dress, Ariel, great pictures. cool tights too. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your red dress so perfectly Christmas-y! Merry Christmas!!! BTW Warhol is amazing I love him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness - I love this outfit!

    A: That dress is gorgeous.
    B: Tose tights are amazing.
    C: Those shoes are beeeautiful!

    Great post :)

    KF x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful red dress! And those tights are an expected surprise! I love your beautiful smile! Wishing you a very happy Christmas! xoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the shoe and bow and legging detail!!! genuis!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so amazing. Those tights and the shoes are so unique. Your blog is piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh that dress is so cute.

    Xx Annie

    http://annieviolet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. These tights are magnificent! And your blog is fantastic with its discussion of art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this whole outfit. too adorable.

    xo, camilla & valerie
    abutterflybyday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete