Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hau' oli lā hānau


Aloha!



I am currently writing from the island of O'ahu, where I've been enjoying lovely sun and sand for the past week, spending time with my best friend from middle school and making my birthday last as long as possible.



I've enjoyed experiencing Hawaiian culture, particularly local art and style. Though Hawaiians are exceedingly laid back, and greet every day with a shaka, I've adored the bright colors of local artists and designers, which reflect the surroundings so perfectly.



Though I've enjoyed the local art, I can't help but think of my very favorite artist, Henri Matisse. His cut outs are some of my favorite works, and I think they really relate to the mood of the islands.


I shared here that, after a lifetime of painting, Matisse turned to producing paper collages when he was bedridden and could no longer wield a paintbrush.



The bold, bright colors of these works, and themes of nature and jubilation encapsulate my experience of the island aesthetic.



I wore this outfit to my birthday luau at Germaine's in Honolulu, where I learned how to hula dance and that I don't like poi. Hau' oli lā hānau means "Happy Birthday" in Hawaiian.



I'm wearing a silk Diane von Furstenberg maxi dress, Miss Trish of Capri leather seahorse sandals, and a fresh orchid lei.


Thank you to the lovely Jessica Vandagriff for taking these photos!

[Matisse images from archimuse.com, redyellowbluemakeyou.blogspot.com, and madamepickwickartblog.com, respectively.]

12 comments:

  1. Gurus usage 3 significant proof ways of show some counterfeit by a hublot replica. Such options can include looking typically the serial phone number, brand phone number, claim spine USERNAME, not to mention omega replica sale Circulation Personal unsecured. Just, take a look relating to her lower lugs (thing the spot where the ring connects towards claim), main lugs not to mention opening up the outcome spine. The well organized route to make out relating to some hublot replica. In so doing typically the purity of this label might be long-lasting dissimilar to other companies. Believe it or not you are astounded to recognize that counterfeiters need departed in terms of to provide some replicated authenticity daily news which makes feel cheap replica watches uk main. An authentic Rolex Submariner will never selling price to the extent that various Rolex looks after. You will find frequently bit old watches and / or gems, compared with Presidential and / or replica watches uk devices.

    ReplyDelete