Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

OP ART


I love polka dots. I submit that it is nearly impossible to be unhappy when one is wearing spots. Alas, I have very few spotted garments in my wardrobe, which is a void I've been working on filling. [Click images to enlarge.]

I found this vintage silk blouse at Goodwill recently and have been dying to wear it ever since. It's quite a festive color scheme for October, don't you think?

When I think of polka dots in art, it's impossible to ignore Op Art, like this 1964 Bridget Riley painting.

Bridget Riley was a proponent of the Op Art movement of the 1960s. At one of Riley's solo gallery shows, her paintings were accused of inducing seasickness!

Riley with some of her paintings.
Op Art became mainstream with the 1965 exhibition The Responsive Eye at the MoMA.

The use of optical illusions in fine art was hastily translated to advertising, as evidenced by this 1965 Pond's advertisement. I love it: "Spots are in, but not on your skin."


I'm wearing a vintage silk blouse with an Erin Fetherston skirt, vintage crinoline, Rampage lace socks, and Halston suede boots.

[Op Art images from the Boston Globe.]

12 comments:

  1. oh! wow! love this look!!!


    i just bumped into your blog! i love it!

    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polka dots are so much fun! They look great on you! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the exploration of fashion/art you have been showcasing in your blog as of late! That connection has always been subtely present in your personal style, but it's great that you have invited us on your trip!! (directions included)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that polka dotted top and the tutu!!! super cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really a cool and helpful piece of information.
    I'm satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.


    my web page :: farm heroes saga gold bars cheat

    ReplyDelete